Thursday, July 22, 2010

Things to remember

Its interesting how a blog's purpose can change over time. Since having Zachari, it seems that most of what I want to post is about her in some way. Well, this post is no exception. This will be a recurring topic, a random list of things that I want to remember about my girl today, right now.
  • She has a kind of whining/cooing noise when she's tired and close to falling asleep.
  • She's really into exploring faces lately, especially mine and Blinn's. And in the last few days, she's wanted to be extra close, nuzzling her face into my hair or my cheek when she wants to cuddle and be soothed to sleep.
  • She's back to making that tiny little o with her mouth like when she was a newborn, but now I think she's doing it to mimic us... or simply out of wonder. Sometimes, that little o is accompanied by a gasp or a little squeak, it makes me giggle every time.
  • She's slightly ticklish on her left side, just above her diaper. She also likes to be kissed on her feet and often shivers and giggles when I do it.
  • A couple of days ago we had a dance party to Dr. Dog's "The Rabbit, The Bat and the Reindeer". We both laughed through the whole thing, it was great! It was the first song she had a real reaction to.
  • Yesterday Bon Iver's "Re: Stacks" came on, the first lullaby I ever sang to her. This time though, instead of holding a tiny, swaddled newborn in one arm, I held a chubby, almost-sitting-up-on-her-own, wiggly infant who stared at me with each word I sang. It was almost as intense as that first February day we shared the song together.
  • She is in awe of her daddy and its probably the most precious thing about her right now. He enters the room, her eyes are fixed on him. He leaves the room, she turns herself around to find where he went. He speaks, she drops what she's doing to listen. He holds her and she (usually) calms right down and seems at ease. He feeds her, she gobbles it up. He makes silly voices, noises and movements, she smiles and laughs. I absolutely adore those moments and melt a little more each time they happen. I dreamt of times like those when I was a little girl. Even then I wanted to have a daughter who adored her father.
  • She's starting to splash around in the bathtub a little and likes playing with her rubber duckies and the cup I use to rinse her off. She really likes sucking on the wet wash cloth!
  • "Peek-a-boo nursing": She's been up to this for a month to six weeks. Its usually towards the end of a feeding when she's had her fill, but she still wants to be close to me. She'll suck a little, pull away quickly and look at me. Sometimes she smirks a little, sometimes we just lock eyes. She repeats it for a while, usually til I put an end to it. I don't end it right away either, its such a sweet time. I know those moments won't last forever.
  • She's a couple weeks shy of six months old, but can still fit into some three month clothes. When she was born I told Blinn that a part of me was sort of happy she was so tiny at birth because that way she'd seem smaller longer. Maybe that was a weird way to look at it, but its been true so far!
  • She loves the outdoors, a girl after her papa's heart.
  • I think her favorite spot in the house is in the exersaucer. She stands almost the whole time she's in it and has recently mastered the art of hitting the button that plays music. She's pretty proud of herself, we're proud of her too.
  • She's fascinated with Miles. When he runs past her, its all she can do to try and turn her head to watch him. When he comes up to her and licks her face or her hand, she just stares blankly, she can't really figure him out. She's gotten better about crying when he barks too, thank goodness!
That's all that comes to mind right now. She's been sleeping for two hours which is great! But after making this list, I just want to cuddle her and play with her. Maybe she'll wake up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment