Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Landslide

After the nudging of two dear friends who know me well and thought I'd like the show, I sat down to watch The Sing-Off on Hulu last month. Man, were my expectations blown out of the water! My love for music went to another level after watching this show because it was about sheer talent. The a cappella genre is fascinating and the groups who performed on The Sing-off were no exception to the rule. Earlier today I was reminded of one of the groups, The Backbeats, and their stellar performance of Fleetwood Mac's "Landslide". I decided to Google it and found this YouTube clip. With Zachari on my lap I watched the video and wept. Today, a day before Sweet Girl turns one, the lyrics hit extra close to home and grabbed my heart.

Well I've been afraid of changing
'Cause I built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Children get older
I'm getting older too


At this time exactly one year ago the induction process had begun. There was no way I'd know how phenomenal my daughter would be. She's more than exceeded my expectations for what this life would be like. I'm emotional about Zachari's first birthday coming up. For the most part, I'm just so excited to celebrate her precious life and the gift she's been to Matt and me. But there's also a little bit of me that mourns the passing of this last year and all the ways she's been so dependent on me. When I was talking with a friend yesterday she told me that the last year's been hard on her because her almost four year old is now very independent and needs the help and attention of her mama less and less. My friend said its been a harsh reality that for all this time her whole world has revolved around her daughter and now that's coming to an end. Wow. That will be me all too soon. I know. Get a grip, right? I will eventually, but for this week I'm just gonna sit in these thoughts and feelings and let them have their way with me.

I love Fleetwood Mac's version of this song. The Smashing Pumpkins did a pretty swell job with it too. But dare I say it? This rendition is magnificently orchestrated and perhaps the most beautiful one of all.

3 comments:

  1. What a poignant song for ZJ's first bday. One of the things I admire about you is your ability to soak in the moment, or the emotion of the moment, and let it take over you - whether it is sheer joy and excitement, or sadness and mourning. You don't let these things pass you by, and I think that's what living life fully is all about. So thanks for being such a great example of that. And I hope little miss ZJ has the happiest first birthday a little girl can possibly have!! You know I wish I was there celebrating it with you guys! Love you all.

    p.s. How steller was Ben on Sing Off? I think he was the only judge who really knew what was going on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, too weird. I just made a Sing-Off playlist with my iTunes gift card yesterday! It's strictly season 2 and mostly Street Corner Symphony, Committed and Backbeats songs. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Sing Off is the television highlight of the year for Matthew and I!!! It is by far the BEST reality/compition show on the air, and should have a longer season in my opinion. I loved the emotion that the backbeats brought to their music and was amazed at their performance of Beyonce's "If I were a boy".
    I too love how true you are to your feelings and emotions Kel. You have so much depth, my friend, and I feel priveledged that you think enough of me to share your heart. I wish that I could express myself as well as you do.

    P.S. I agree with Wendy....Ben is AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete