Wednesday, August 1, 2012

World Breastfeeding Week

Its the first day of World Breastfeeding Week and I'll admit it, I've been looking forward to this for months! Its my hope to have a post every day to educate myself (and maybe anyone who ever reads this blog) about breastfeeding-related topics. 


From the Centers for Disease Control's 2012 Breastfeeding Report Card, I found out these statistics for the state of Ohio. Shameful, to say the very least. 


Percent of live births occurring at Baby-Friendly Facilities: 4.18
Percent of breastfed infants receiving formula before 2 days of age: 17.8
Number of La Leche League leaders per 1,000 live births: 1.08
Number of IBCLCs per 1,000 live births: 3.57
Number if state health department full time equivalents dedicated to breastfeeding: 1.50
State child care center regulation supporting lactation: No


We have a lot of work to do, a long way to go. I learned some of this stuff in my CLC training, but when I actually take the time to get on the websites myself, the information is copious - and depressing in some regards. 


Thankfully, I've never gotten much flack for nursing - in public or otherwise - but there are hundreds of women who have. I'm grateful for the friends who nursed before me to teach me the ways and make it seem normal and easy (even though my road wasn't all that easy at first!). My family has been supportive and even though a good number of them don't really like the thought of breastfeeding, they've supported my decision to do so. Its an understatement to say that I'm so excited for Little One's birth so that I can nurse another child at my breast. I have so much more knowledge this time around than I did with Z and I hope that will be beneficial for us. Maybe one of these days I'll become a true Lactivist and do something to change the face of the breastfeeding stats in our state... hell, even in our country!

No comments:

Post a Comment