Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Early-morning reading

Today I woke up around 4:30 a.m. to pee. When I crawled back into bed and snuggled up next to Blinn's warm body I couldn't get settled to save my life. After tossing, turning and trying hard to get back to sleep, around 5:10 I got out of bed for the day. Unheard of for me, but whatever. I quickly found the book I've been trying to read for the last two weeks and cozied up with my Snuggie and got a couple hours of reading in. What?! When's the last time that happened? It was great. 


A couple months ago Favorite Blogger wrote about how excited she was that this book had arrived in the mail. I was intrigued by the book's title and cover photograph. I reserved it from the library knowing hardly anything about it, but trusting the recommendation of someone who's thoughts I tune in on regularly. Today was the first chance I had to really dig into the text and well, its great. I didn't expect the book to be so God-centered, nor did I expect to like that about it, but its just what I need in this season of my life. I found myself jotting down quote after quote and reflecting on my own life so much that I made an impulse buy on Amazon and got a copy for m'self! I'm excited to get a little package of my own in the mail in the next week or so... and to really tackle the hard concept of living fully right where I am. The idea of being thankful for all things and living a life saturated in gratitude. This will be a process for sure.


Its fitting that I'm reading this now, a time of giving thanks and anticipation for good, new things to come. Sunday will be the first day of Advent, a time in the Christian calendar that Blinn and I have really come to love. I feel differently about Advent, Christmas and God-things in general this year. I'm thankful for that. 

No comments:

Post a Comment