Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Thoughts on turning two

Today is the last day my little girl will be a one year old. Oh wait. My little girl isn't just any little girl, she's Zachari Jane and she hasn't been a one year old in what seems like quite a while. Man, do Matty and I have our hands full... in the best kind of way!


There's so much that changes in a person between the ages of one and two. She's no longer a baby, she's officially a toddler and she has so much personality bubbling out of her every single day. Its been a fun ride getting to know more of her and to watch her imagination flourish. She brings me immense joy. I don't know what life was like before her... I mean, did I even smile? Like, truly smile?


I continue to learn a lot about myself as a woman, a mother, a wife and just a human being. There is always something to work on, always a way I can be better for Zachari, but she shows me grace and unconditional love in ways that are healing. Children are so amazing about grace and love, right? You always hear it said how loyal pets are you to and they just love you no matter what, but when you see a person with your DNA who speaks back to you and kisses you and says "Its okay, mama." its completely different. Maybe its weird to compare a pet with a child here, but it makes sense in my brain.


I sort of feel like there's more I should say - maybe because my post like this last year was so long - but this is all for now. I'm so very thankful to have a daughter who is as beautiful inside and out as my sweet ZJ has been from the start. She brings me joy, makes me a better person, and teaches me about love every day that she lives. Happy birthday, Baby Girl!


This is what Z will find when she comes out of her room tomorrow. I can hardly wait to see her expression! The Elmo balloon wouldn't cooperate and show it's face and the red walls make the room look a bit darkish, but Z won't care. Birthday morning tea party, here we come! And yes, there's a spot for Mama, Papa and Miles because she likes to include all of us... most of the time.

1 comment:

  1. I love first-thing-in-the-morning-wake-up-feeling-special birthday surprises!!! And I think its AWESOME that you have an Elmo balloon! Does Z love him? I remember you making a comment once about how Elmo's baby talk drives you crazy and I think of that nearly every time we pop in the DVD from the library or pull him up on YouTube. But seriously, who doesn't love Elmo???

    ReplyDelete