Thursday, February 2, 2012

Breastfeeding goal #4

Well, I made it. I set breastfeeding goals for myself when Zachari was born (and then a new set after we finally got the hang of things) and I've accomplished all of them. She's two. I hoped to nurse her til she was two and we did it! There's an amazing sense of accomplishment about this milestone... and its a little bittersweet. 


Very naturally, my girl has started weaning herself from "Mama's milk" and sometimes we go as much as three days without her nursing. I haven't really minded it because its felt right and she's led the process as I'd hoped, but there is a part of me that's sad that this road is coming to an end. She just nurses in the morning now and not even every day. I don't think she's transferring much milk at all, its more of a comfort or habitual thing. And now, I have sinus surgery scheduled in a couple of weeks and won't be able to nurse her for a few days afterwards anyway because the drugs that'll be in my system so perhaps this month will be it for us? Like, totally done?


I'm ready. She's ready. It will be good to have this chapter close, but at the same time, it means my baby girl is growing up and wait, am I ready for that?


Oh yeah, its already happening, whether I like it or not!


I'm thankful that our hard work for all those weeks has paid off and now here we are two years later as breastfeeding champs. I'm proud of her. I'm proud of me. I'm thankful for a supportive husband who told me to keep up the hard work when I felt defeated, tired and frustrated. This has been so much a part of me for what seems like forever and its helped define me with each month that's passed. Who knew I'd ever be such an advocate for this sort of thing?! Who knew putting a babe to the breast could be such a big deal?!

1 comment:

  1. This chapter might be over for you but I know you will (and already have!) be impacting so many other women on their nursing journeys!

    ReplyDelete