Friday, March 1, 2013

Things to remember

Zachari Jane is a busy body all the time! If she's not dancing around the house, she's scooting her dolls around in a stroller. If she's not talking a mile a minute, she's singing a song or babbling in a made up language. Never a dull moment at 2675 Deming Avenue with this girl, that's for sure! There are so many things I want to remember about her at this stage. 
  • She's really enjoying Dr. Seuss books. Amy subscribed to a book club in Z's name so Z gets a few new Dr. Seuss books each month and she's eating them up. We're going to work on "Hop On Pop", maybe she'll be able to read it on her own one day soon!
  • She LOVES her baby brother and I LOVE watching the two of them together. For the first month, she exclusively called him Baby Boy which was just about the cutest thing ever. Now she calls him Buddy and sometimes she'll be silly and call him Jonny. The second nickname isn't my fave, but because its coming from her, I tolerate it. 
  • At random times someone will come to Zachari's mind and she'll say, with a look of panic and urgency on her face "_____ hasn't met my baby brother! Why???" She is a proud big sister and wants everyone to know him. I love it when someone new comes over and she barely lets them get in the door before she launches into "Do you know I have a baby brother?" Adorable.
  • Zachari's fine motor skills are fantastic! She enjoys beading necklaces, playing with pipe cleaners and adding beads or tiny things to them, painting with watercolors (and super tiny paint brushes), gluing small things to paper, etc. I love that she loves crafts so much!
  • She's become quite the fan of COSI this winter. Thankfully, good friends have taken her a couple times since Jonathan's birth and the chance for her to play in such an interactive, creative place is fun for her. I'd love to have a pass there as a family one day. 
  • The little mama now has a sling for her babes similar to my Hot Sling and she often carries her little people around in it. She's also been known to sneak away to nurse her wee ones. Two things she sees me do every day, all day. Imitation is the highest form of flattery, don't they say?
  • She's a very picky eater right now. If I hear "I don't like that." or "Its yucky, I don't want it!" once a day, I hear it about fifteen times a day. She now says it before she een tries something or even though she's liked it in the past. She still likes all kinds of fruit, most dairy products, bread of any kind and snacks like crackers or tortilla chips (girl after my own heart). She's gotten back into plain applesauce with cinnamon that she adds in, she likes rolling slices of cheese in deli meat and eating "rollups", and still has a daily smoothie. Recently she has discovered the joys of dipping raw veggies in ranch dressing and I'm alright with it every now and then because at least the veggies are getting into her. I wish her diet was a little better on most days, but I realize it could be a lot worse. Its a phase. I'm trying to be patient and consistent through it. Oh, and she now gets into the fridge on her own - which can be a blessing and a curse!
  • She's really close to Carla and the two of them have a very special bond. She likes to just sit with Carla on the couch sometimes and watch Carla knit or do her crossword puzzles. There are some things that Z prefers that Carla do instead of Maryke or Kim and when they're out on the town together, Z always wants to make sure Carla is safe and doing alright. Its really sweet and Carla just adores my girl.
  • Zachari's creativity and imagination continue to develop and its so fun to watch! The other day she played on her own for over an hour and she made up names for every baby, came up with silly words for different things, and carried on in her own little world contentedly. 
  • Potty training is going pretty well. She's been day and night in underwear since the first of the year. We might've jumped the gun on the undies at night thing because she often wakes up soaking wet. We're not going backwards now, though. In a few more months, I think we'll be golden and for the most part, I'm proud of how well she's doing.
  • Everything is a princess or a prince! When her boy friends come over, she asks them if they want to be her prince. Papa is either her prince, a frog (we recently watched The Princess and the Frog), or the princess' horse. Cinderella makes this girl light up like nothing else. Katelyn gave Z a Cinderella dress to play in and you'd like it was a million bucks by the way it brings Zachari so much joy. Love it.
  • The girl has att.i.tude. This is nothing new of course, but since turning three and/or J's birth, her tantrums have increased and become much more intense. The first 5-6 weeks of J's life were awful as far as her tantrums were concerned. I felt bad for the little guy because he probably thought that life outside the womb was supposed to be so loud and chaotic since all he heard was his sister's screaming voice. We've come through that time (thank God) and her behavior is much better, but there are still some very trying times. She's almost too smart for her own good - even when being disciplined! We'll look back on these times and laugh one day soon, I know. Whew!
My little lady is growing up so fast and now that there's a new baby in the house, she seems so much older. She's a great helper for her papa, Jonathan and me and she loves people so well. I have many things I could learn from her, really.

We're starting to look into preschool for her in the fall (WHAT?!) and I hope to get her into some sort of class at Whetstone this spring. She's a social butterfly that needs to spread her wings and make new friends, learn in a new setting and be challenged. I'm so proud of her and eager to see how her little personality develops as she gets older. 

No comments:

Post a Comment