Monday, June 30, 2014

Jonathan: 18 months

One and a half. 
That feels like a big milestone to me. 
Just as I was in denial when you turned one, I'm not quite ready to start a new month yet and have you get older. What is it with mothers wanting their babies to stay babies at the same time that we want you to "Just grow up already!"Jekyyl and Hyde I suppose. (Another post for another time, perhaps...) 
  • You've finally started saying please for things... only it sounds more like "cheeeee", but I'll take it!
  • In the last month you've wanted to nurse lots  and you've development some sort of non-English word for it that no one understands, but I get it.
  • Words that you're saying now: bike, water, cup, sister (I think), sticker, shoe, bus, tractor, truck, outside, hot dog, help (sounds like up-pi), high five, cracker (which is word you use for pretzels, crackers, Cheerios, anything crunchy basically).
  • A lot of times when you're riding around town in your car seat you babble to yourself and in a sweet sing-song voice with distinct repetition. You know what you're saying and trust me, one day we'll all understand you too!
  • Thankfully, you still play pretty well on your own. Keep that up, Bud!
  • When Zachari is gone, you definitely miss her and your face lights up when she returns. Whether she's at VBS, out on an errand with me or Papa or gone overnight, your world doesn't quite seem right without your favorite companion nearby, does it?
  • You're still pretty sweet on Papa and when he leaves you still get upset and big tears roll down your face as he walks out the door. This makes Papa feel so good and loved, but at the same time, it breaks his heart. It'll be interesting to see the father-son bond grow between you two in years to come. I already love what I'm seeing though!
  • When you see a camera or an iPhone pointed in your general direction, you usually stop in your tracks, flash a grin and say "Cheeeese!". Oh Baby, its preciousness.
  • I think this is the month you developed what peeps call "stranger danger" because when you're left in the nursery or with a babysitter, you almost always start bawling. It never lasts more than a minute or two, but you've picked up on cues of when you're about to be left behind and you like pulling on our heartstrings to persuade us to stay with you. Papa gets roped into the waterworks a little easier than I do, by the way.
  • Hand-holding while riding in the car is a new thing for you and me and I adore it, Babe. You're still learning what it looks like to peacefully hold hands because it doesn't involve digging your nails into one's palm or wiggling your hand all about, but in due time, I know it'll click for ya. There have been a few times when you've just walked up to me at home and wanted to hold hands for a few secs too. Won. Der. Ful!
  • On June 9th I took you in for another sick visit and this time we met with Ben, a nurse practitioner in the office. You had been coughing and your breathing just had an overall yucky sound to it. Ben put ya on five days of meds for what he thought was the beginning stages of pneumonia. I filled the prescription, I gave you all the medication, but I didn't like it. You've had too many antibiotics in your small tummy for my liking. I'm seriously thinking that you and Sis might need to be off of gluten. I've toyed with going gluten-free for a while now, but your health and that of your sister's is so important. More on this another day, perhaps...
  • Shoes, shoes and more shoes for you, J-man! You LOVE shoes - your own, the shoes of others, it doesn't matter! You want to be wearing shoes at all times and often, the first thing you point to after a nap or in the mornings are your shoes! You get super giddy when we start putting them on and you often try doing it yourself. You prance around in Sister's dress-up heels, Papa's Keens, my wedges, you like em all. The $6 See Kai Run sandals I got for you at Once Upon a Child are your favorite, I think. What a funny little interest you've formed! Oh, and usually when putting shoes on you'll wave and say "Bye-bye!" - I guess you associate shoe-wearing with leaving the house!
  • Your ears are impressive. You can decipher a train from a plane from an ambulance or fire truck from indoors with windows closed! If you hear a train, you say "choo choo". If you hear a plane, you say "Hi plane!" and wave. Your adoration of all things vehicular in nature just continues to grow!
  • Its amazing how quickly you've taken to dirt and mud and all things outdoor messy. I'm learning to be alright with it. And as a result, I'm bathing you more than I used to. Whatev, this is how we roll, right?
  • Hm-mm, as in "no!" is your reply to a lot of things. Ohhhh no, Mister. Don't you start talking back too! I think my head will explode when both you and Sis do that. Goooood gracious!
  • At your well check today you weighed 23 pounds, 14 ounces and you measured 2 feet, 9 1/4 inches! You are our happy, healthy, curious little boy and I'm so thankful to have had another month of your life to document, J!




First time at the Scioto Mile fountains - no fear!
June 25th - A rare time when I woke you from a nap to get Sis from VBS

No comments:

Post a Comment