Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Mid-year book review

So far 2014 has been "The Year of the Book" for me! 

When I was younger, I read a lot and enjoyed the escape of whatever novel I was into. For several years recently though, I've either not been reading much of anything at all or if I was reading something, it was in the educational or self-help categories. What I've read so far this year has been a great mix of escapes from reality blended with some humor, some memoir-type reading and a little bit of self-helping. Here's a list of the pages I've been turning since the beginning of the year.





I meannnn, Suzanne Collins... you had me at Katniss Everdeen. Who comes up with such a name? And with such characters and a plot like I was tantalized by in the Hunger Games trilogy?! I started reading the first book on our weekend without kids in December and within three weeks, I was through all three books. UNHEARD of for moi! Loved every second of it and so much so, that I'm considering reading through em again - just 'cuz!


Melanie has a frank, witty, down-to-earth way about her writing that hooked me instantly. I think I read through this book in about four days and I enjoyed it all. If I'm honest, I felt like sometimes she was trying a bit too hard to get a laugh out of someone, but for the most part, it was a great (and easy) read. 


Shauna Niequist. 'Nuff said. This was the first of her books that I found and now she's got me hooked - probably for life. I don't think her books are categorized as memoirs, but they're written in that same manor which made for an easy, breezy time of flipping through the pages and being so eager to know what waited on the other side. There were times when she said things better than I've known how to articulate them in my own life and there were highs and lows she experienced that I too have been through. We're friends, Shauna and I. Maybe one day we'll meet in person. Ya know, for realz.


Disappointed! I tried and tried to read this book over the course of several weeks and I just couldn't stomach it. I adore the show and so I thought that I'd naturally adore the book as well. Wrong. I found Jennifer Worth to be incredibly wordy and it wasn't the relaxing book I was hoping for. Sad.


I read this twice. In less than three month's time. And I want to make all the recipes and create art pieces from all the chapters and sing all the food-love-friendship songs that Shauna sings throughout the book. There were moments when I'd read what she wrote and it felt like she had penned things that had just fallen from my very lips. Words about issues with food and about the pain of losing someone you love and of friendships and of the Church and of a God so big and gracious and powerful that you're left speechless. Shauna Niequest, folks. She kicks major booty. The book is good. So good. So inspirational. So so good. 



Ah yes, the fourth teen fiction book I devoured of the year. What is it with me? Is that were my intellect is? No, I know its not, but I sure did blow through this book in a mere three days. Oh, Hazel Grace and Augustus Waters. Why'd ya have to be so young and so smart and so cancer-ridden? Its not okay. Okay?


Insert big, loud swallow-gulp here. In April I started going to a women's group through CV and they were just starting this book. Its been wonderful. We meet twice a month and read/discuss just two chapters a month. Very doable at this stage of my life and for some of the subject matter, taking things this slow is for the best. As with all Brene Brown stuff, it ain't for the faint of heart. She pinches where it hurts and says what needs to be said that you'd rather avoid and she lays things out in a way that make sense for my often-tired brain. Its been a good few months with the ladies of my group and this book for sure.



Sure did read all of Shauna's book out of sequence, but who cares. This one, maybe because its the most fresh in my mind, really hit home. Thoughts on grace and change for goodness sake - I could read about that all day long if she was writing about it. She's eloquent but real, emotional but not too emotional, centered in her faith in God but not in a cheesy church lady way. She pretty much rocks. 


There are some helpful household tips in here on cleaning, avoiding cleaning and things like avoiding awkward people and a lot of things in between. The cover caught my eye on the display rack at the library and it was a decently humorous book . Not too shabby.


Ain't it da troot, ain't it da troot? Everybody really does have something and Robin Roberts writes about her somethings so well. I vaguely remember her first battle with cancer, breast cancer and all the buzz surrounding her because she was another sick celebrity, yada yada. But this book is more about her bone marrow cancer, the second cancer that affected her. She's so deeply rooted in her faith and in her family and she surrounds herself with the ones who love her most, have walked with her the longest and who speak the truth to her. I want to have a support system like hers around me in my final days or if, God forbid, I'm affected by a life-threatening illness. Robin's optimism and descriptive language about the highs and lows of her life are powerful.


So there ya have it. My mid-year book review. I'm thankful for an amazing public library system because without it, I wouldn't get to read much of anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment