Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Absence makes the heart grow fonder

The Boy is away on his annual back country hiking trip, day three of five away from home and the demands of busy city life. This year he's with Erik in the Smokey Mountains in North Carolina. They've been planning this trip for months and the specific destination came together a little while ago. Blinn was so excited to finally get on the road to get this adventure started and I'm so happy he got to go. He works too much and puts in long days providing for our family, but rarely gets to do something for himself. This week is all about him and I'm more than happy to be separated from him and do the single parent thing for a while so that he can recharge and get much-needed rest. 


I miss him and I'll be ready for his return, but this year more than in years past, my missing him has been less of an ache. It might have something to do with the two year old that's been my companion or the busyness that we've been part of the last few days. I'd like to think that its because in the last year or so of our marriage, I've really learned to appreciate and love my husband for who he is. Sounds silly since we've been married for five years, but it wasn't until recently that I was more conscious of our big personality differences and how when put side by side, they make a beautiful mixture of what's best about each of us. I'm an extrovert, he's an introvert and often times, its those two polar opposities that define other differences between us. Thankfully though, less and less do I see that as something to "deal with" or "work through". (And frankly, its embarrassing that I ever viewed it as such, even if it was short-lived.) 


I'm thankful for my sweet husband and the ways he is different from me. I miss him and what they say is true, absence really does make the heart grow fonder. 

No comments:

Post a Comment