Sunday, December 23, 2012

Advent message

The message I wrote in most of the cards we sent out this month read something like this:

In this season of Advent may you be filled with excitement, anticipation and joy! As we eagerly await Little One's arrival, we have a renewed sense of hope for the new and beautiful things to come. That same hope to you, friend, and may it take root in your heart and consume you. Blessings for a most happy new year and a Christmas that is merry. With love, The Blinns.

Its simple, yet profound to me. I am again pregnant in the blessed season of Advent and this year more than any other, I'm touched by the significance of how my story is similar to that of Mary's. I'm not carrying the savior of the world, I'm not going to give birth amidst livestock, but I am full of excitement and anticipation for the beautiful gift of life that flutters inside of me. I don't at all think its a coincidence that we've conceived our children when we have and I've been pregnant during the Advent/Christmas season. I'm a little hard-headed at times and perhaps its this third time that's the charm because it makes sense. 


On two different occasions today I heard the story of Mary who traveled the hillside to visit with her cousin Elizabeth who was also pregnant (with John the Baptist). Apparently, when Elizabeth saw Mary approaching her, the baby in her womb leapt with joy because he already know that the baby Mary carried was in fact the Christ King. Elizabeth was first to call Mary the Mother of God and in her characteristic humility and grace Mary says: 


The Visitation


"My soul magnifies the Lord

And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior;
Because he has regarded the lowliness of his handmaid;
For behold, henceforth all generations shall call me blessed;
Because he who is mighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his name;
And his mercy is from generation to generation
on those who fear him.
He has shown might with his arm,
He has scattered the proud in the conceit of their heart.
He has put down the mighty from their thrones,
and has exalted the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has given help to Israel, his servant, mindful of his mercy
Even as he spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his posterity forever."
-The Magnificat


Thank you God for Your Word. It's speaking volumes to me this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment